The fifth state rankings for the 2017 the season have been released by the NYSSWA. Below are the WNY teams that made the cut:
No teams ranked
Williamsville South #7
St. Francis #14
Health Sciences #6
East Aurora #24
Chautauqua Lake #11
** According to the rankings...
- Still no teams ranked in Class AA. The latest developments from here to Rochester - Fairport & UPrep (Class AA) have both lost to Irondequoit (Class A). UPrep defeated Aquinas, both in Class AA. Niagara Falls, who beat UPrep on December 3rd, lost at Aquinas over the weekend. My prediction/speculation is that Lockport cracks the top 25 in NYS Class AA next week if they can beat Niagara Falls this week.
-Williamsville South, who now owns the longest active win streak against WNY teams at 22 games heading into tonight against Iroquois, moves up one spot to #7 in NYS Class A. The Billies also have the longest win streak of any team against Section VI competition at 29 games.
- Thursday night at Park will feature #7 vs. #1 in NYS Class A as the Pioneers host the Billies.
- St. Francis is now the second highest ranked MMA team in NYS. The Red Raiders have climbed to #14 in Class A. They could move up even higher with wins over Health Sciences and Canisius this week.
- Timon falls from #14 in NYS Class A to #22 following its second loss of the season at Park. Canisius remains unranked for a second straight week, despite a lopsided win at St. Joe's, heading into tonight's game with #1 ranked Park.
- Walsh finally jumps in the NYS Class B rankings, landing at #15 - one spot ahead of St. Mary's, who was knocked out of the top 25. Walsh defeated the Lancers in Lancaster on Sunday afternoon. It was the second league loss in the same week for the reeling Lancers, who fell at Cardinal O'Hara also.
- East Aurora is back in the state rankings in Class B. The Blue Devils took the #24 ranking at the expense of Lackawanna, who had been ranked #20. EA beat the Steelers in their crib last Tuesday night.
- East and Chautauqua Lake each inched up one spot in the NYS Class C rankings, where the state still views THREE teams from Section V as superior to anything Class C has to offer. Section V has only beat Section VI in the Class C regional once since 2009.
- Ellicottville returns to the top of the order of Class D teams tightly bunched in the NYS rankings.
Click HERE for the complete NYSSWA State Rankings.