The eighth state rankings for the 2017 the season have been released by the NYSSWA. Below are the WNY teams that made the cut:
No teams ranked
Williamsville South #7
St. Francis #14
East Aurora #16
Middle College #23
Health Sciences #25
Chautauqua Lake #3
** According to the rankings...
- They agree with me about Fairport. After seeing them dismantle Aquinas on Saturday night, I tweeted that Fairport was the best team in the Far West Region. The Red Raiders are ranked #5 in NYS Class AA this week and they are the state's highest ranked public school.
- We still have no teams from Class AA ranked and you won't hear making the case for anyone this season.
- Park is inching back up in the rankings. The Pioneers have been #1 this season in Class A, but fell to #5 after losing to St. Francis. They are currently #4.
- Williamsville South jumps from #16 to #7 after a big week that included wins over St. Francis and UPrep. I think it should have been higher. You jump to at least #12 just for beating St. Francis, who was holding that spot. Then the win in Rochester against the team that was #5 in NYS Class AA would, in theory, get you an even more significant boost. Had they not lost at Amherst when they were ranked #7, they'd probably sit ahead of Park right now.
- St. Francis dropped two spots in NYS Class A to #14 for losing to South and beating Timon in the same week. They should have just stayed at #12 in my opinion.
- Timon didn't get punished much for the loss at St. Francis. They fell from #22 to #25 in NYS Class A. Hopefully that's a sign that people are coming around on Frannies, who I'll continue to defend as a very legitimate team.
- Amherst continues to be mentioned with honor in the state, but nothing else. I don't think the Tigers get in until Timon moves back up in the rankings or suffers a really bad loss.
- East Aurora surged ahead in the state rankings this week, from #24 to #16 in NYS Class B, on the strength of that 16-point win over Depew. I think.
- For Middle College, beating the state's #8 ranked team, Health Sciences, who has been in the top 10 all season in Class B, got you...#23. Clearly that one is viewed more negatively towards Health Sciences. The Falcons' free fall in the rankings has them barely hanging on at #25 in NYS Class B. So more of a punishment to the Falcons than a reward for the Kats.
- Randolph has cracked the state rankings in Class C and deservedly so. The Cardinals (#25) have won 10 of their last 12 games, and the losses came to Grand Island and East.
- Franklinville largely got a pass for its road loss at Burgard last Friday and only dropped two spots to #11 in NYS Class D. I think that sounds about right - long drive to a Yale Cup gym against a good team two classes higher. Not a bad loss.
Click HERE for complete NYSSWA State Rankings.