The ninth state rankings for the 2018 the season have been released by the NYSSWA. Below are the WNY teams that made the cut:
No teams ranked
West Seneca West #10
Williamsville South #15
Health Sciences #4
Middle College #20
Niagara Catholic #25
Chautauqua Lake #19
******** According to the rankings above........
- Normally this is where I get pretty nit-picky about the movement from one week to the next and how irrational some of the reactions are to wins and losses when it seems perspective was not applied. But honestly as I look over this week's rankings, there's not much to disagree with. I see the logic in just about every change from last week, based on the results. So I say well done NYSSWA.
- Niagara Falls lost its participation trophy from a week ago. Maybe it's because they lost in the rematch on their home court to St. Michael's (Toronto) on Saturday, after winning there last week. Hopefully it had nothing to do with a game against a Canadian team, eh? It's not like any of us have the first clue how to apply the exchange rate on that one.
- Park and Canisius remained #3 & #5 respectively in NYS Class A. Translation, the biggest game of the week in NYS Class A is going down on Delaware Avenue on Tuesday night at 6:30 pm.
- West Seneca West's winning ways have seen them finally climb into the top 10 in NYS Class A. The Indians' 18-game win streak remains the third longest in the state.
- Williamsville South's win over Health Sciences at the Centercourt Classic earned them some love on the state level. Finally, the Billies who have quietly put together a solid season with a couple signature wins and have taken care of business in ECIC II, get more than just a participation trophy from the state.
- Timon's loss at Park caused them to slip from #14 to #16 in NYS Class A. That's all. No major sanction from the NYSSWA for losing to the #3 team in the state, just a couple spots. I saw it, rubbed my eyes to make sure they were working properly, and took another look. Yep, #16. Again I say, well done NYSSWA.
- Equally impressive is the fact that Health Sciences remained #4 in NYS Class B, one spot ahead of #5 Olean, despite losing on the road to Williamsville South. Rather than treat the Falcons like they're actually not a super power in NYS Class B, which they are, the state rewarded South for the win and placed the Billies more appropriately.
- Middle College & Niagara Catholic each fell back two spots in NYS Class B for losses last week to large schools, which was reasonable. The Kats fell to South Park, while the Patriots lost to Canisius and at St. Francis.
- Tapestry & Chautauqua Lake each held strong in their NYS Class C rankings, retaining the #6 and #19 slots.
- Franklinville's loss to Ellicottville last week caused the Panthers to slip from #2 in NYS Class D to #4. They are now behind East, who remained at the #3 spot and was leapfrogged by Prattsburgh out of Section V. That one is interesting and probably happened because East lost at McKinley, although they did blast St. Mary's by 30 points later in the week. Can you imagine Prattsburgh rolling into Mack High to take on McKinley? I think the pressure might get to them. I don't think they'd lambaste St. Mary's either. I guess what I'm saying is East is better. They're going to win a state championship in Class D this year. Unless Franklinville does instead. Or Ellicottville. However it shakes out round these parts, we're like the Arby's 'We have the meats' commercial here in WNY, except it would go...Section VI, we have the D's! And one of them will be taking a swing at Moriah and its 36-game win streak a month from now!
- Finally, welcome Sherman to the state rankings. The Wildcats are in, #19 in NYS Class D. Remember, 'Section VI, we have the D's!
Click HERE for complete NYSSWA State Rankings